Cover your tracks

if you're worried about someone knowing you have visited this website read how to cover your tracks online.

What is domestic violence? 

Domestic abuse, also called domestic violence can include:

  • physical abuse
  • emotional abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • financial abuse
  • coercive control
  • forced marriage
  • honour-based abuse
  • female genital mutilation  

It can happen in relationships, with family members or ex-partners. Domestic abuse can happen to anyone and anyone can be an abuser. 

Find out about our campaigns to tackle domestic violence and abuse.

Talk to someone

Camden Safety Net

Camden Safety Net is a confidential service for domestic abuse survivors. Anyone who lives, works or studies in the borough of Camden can use the service. You can talk to one of our advisors, who will help keep you safe and discuss your options.

To talk to someone in confidence contact Camden Safety Net. In an emergency always call 999. 

Camden Safety Net provides advice and advocacy on:

  • safety planning
  • risk assessment
  • finding legal advice
  • emotional support
  • criminal justice 
  • housing
  • children’s and adults' social care

Support from your local pharmacy

Boots pharmacies in Camden and across the UK displaying this poster can provide a safe and private space for you to seek immediate help.

To get help all you need to do is say the code word ANI, which stands for (Action Needed Immediately) and trained staff at the pharmacy will offer you the assistance you need.

See the below list for participating pharmacies in Camden.

Download translated versions of the posters 

Participating pharmacies in Camden and local boroughs

  • Morrisons Camden, The Goods Yard, Camden, NW1 8AA
  • Well Pharmacy Highgate, 11-13 Junction Road, Upper Holloway, N19 5QT
  • Superdrug Swiss Cottage, 3-5 Harben Parade, Finchley Road, NW3 6JP
  • Superdrug Kilburn, 82-84 High Road, Kilburn, NW6 4HS
  • Superdrug Islington, 54-55 Chapel Street, Islington,N1 9EW
  • Superdrug Holloway, 5-9 Seven Sisters Road, Holloway, N7 6AJ
  • Superdrug Holborn, 232 High Holborn, WC1V 7DA
  • Boots, 8-10 Camden High Street, NW1 0JH
  • Boots, 40 Hampstead High Street, NW3 1QE
  • Boots, 196 Kentish Town Road, NW5 2AE
  • Boots, 25- 27 Farringdon Road, EC1M 3HA
  • Boots, 24 High Holborn, WC1V 6AZ
  • Boots, 129-133 Kingsway, WC2B 6PP
  • Boots, 211-212 Tottenham Court Road, W1T 7PP
  • Boots, 16-17 Tottenham Court Road, W1T 1AZ

Signs of domestic violence and abuse

Domestic abuse isn’t just physical. There are lots of different kinds of abuse, including emotional, sexual and controlling behaviour. 

If you answer yes to any of these questions you might be in an abusive relationship.

Do they?

  • physically hurt you? Physical abuse can mean anything from slaps, pushes, kicks, blows, shaking, strangulation, and ultimately, murder. 
  • belittle you, or put you down?
  • threaten to harm you or harass you?
  • blame you for the abuse or arguments?
  • deny that abuse is happening, or downplay it?
  • isolate you from your family and friends?
  • stop you going to college or work?
  • make unreasonable demands for your attention?
  • get angry or offended quickly and easily?
  • accuse you of flirting or having affairs?
  • tell you what to wear, who to see, where to go, and what to think?
  • destroy or damage your property?
  • control your money, or not give you enough to buy food or other essential things?
  • monitor your social media profiles, share photos or videos of you without your consent or use GPS locators to know where you are?
  • force you to have sex, hurt you sexually, or ask you to do sexual acts that you don't want to do?
  • threaten to take your children away from you?
  • threaten you with harm if you were to ever leave?


Indicators of an abuser

Abuse includes using anger as a control tool as well as being physically violent towards your partner.

  • Are you abusive to your partner or spouse?
  • Do you hit, push, choke, kick, hold them against their will? Or do any act against your partner that results in any injury in any form?
  • Do you ever threaten to hurt them (hold a fist to their head) or threaten to kill them?
  • Do you destroy property when you're angry?
  • Do you tell your partner that they are worthless or stupid?
  • Do you call your partner names, and tell them that they are having sex with other people?
  • Do you act in a jealous and possessive way, accusing them and making them account for their daily activities?
  • Do you tell them they are a useless parent and threaten to take the children away from them?
  • Do you withhold money from them and make them account for every penny they spend?

Domestic abuse can mean a lot of things - you can use words or actions or both.
For further advice and help visit the Respect website

Housing support

If you want or need to leave home, find out about the housing support available. 

Stay with family and friends

This may be a safe option and give you some support. It is possible that your abuser will guess where you are and this may only be a short term solution. If you live in a council home, please contact your housing officer for support as soon as possible, especially if you're unable to stay in your home.

Go to a women’s refuge

You can get a space in a refuge by calling the 24-hour National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline on 0808 2000 247. Refuges are safe houses for women and children who are escaping domestic violence. Help will be available on matters such as:

  • welfare rights
  • legal issues 
  • accommodation options

Refuge addresses are confidential to ensure the safety of those who live there. Refuges accept all women, with or without children. Some do not take boys over 12. You can find out more about refuges, visit the Refuge website

Emergency accommodation from a council

All councils have a legal duty to give advice and help to homeless people. If you’re too frightened to stay in Camden you can contact another council

Contact us for homelessness advice 

As you’ve left your home due to violence, you will not be intentionally homeless. If you’re rehoused by a council, you’ll probably have to spend time in a bed and breakfast or hostel before you're rehoused permanently.

If you’re a council tenant, you can contact your housing officer. They will provide advice on your options such as:

  • alarms
  • neighbour support network
  • mobile patrol
  • injunctions

Contact your housing officer

If you are still in danger you can apply to transfer to another home in Camden or another borough. You will be given a high priority as long as you’re a council tenant and you’re:

  • in temporary accommodation (including a refuge)
  • staying with friends
  • staying in your home 

If you leave your home due to domestic violence, we would like to remove your abuser from the property. To do this we need your agreement as you will be required to attend court to give evidence of the violence you have suffered.

Renting privately

If you decide to find somewhere to rent privately, you may be able to get Housing Benefit

Getting control of your present home

Under the Family Law Act 1996 you can apply to the courts to have your abuser removed from your present home. This is called an Occupation Order. Whether or not you decide to do this will depend on how safe you feel you may be in your home. If you’re getting divorced, jointly-owned property will be sorted out as part of the divorce settlement. This may take a long time so you may wish to make alternative arrangements in the meantime.

Making your home safe

If you wish to remain in your home but are fearful because of security and safety issues, you can contact the Safehome Project. This service is for anyone living in Camden who is as risk of homelessness due to domestic violence.

Financial advice

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age who are working and on a low income, or are out of work. It is a benefit administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), and not by your local council.

Find out more about Universal Credit

Sure Start Maternity Grant

If you are pregnant and the child is expected within 11 weeks or have just had a baby you may be entitled to a Maternity Grant.

Find out more about the Sure Start Maternity Grant

Housing Benefit

If you’re on a low income and pay rent for the property you live in, you may be able to get Housing Benefit to help with rent.

You can apply for Housing Benefit, or continue to claim Housing Benefit, if one of the following applies to you:


  • have more than 2 children
  • live in supported accommodation
  • live in temporary accommodation provided by a council
  • are of Pension Credit age
  • are a severely disabled person

If nothing in the above list applies to you, please apply for Universal Credit instead.

Council Tax reduction

If you are married or cohabiting, you are jointly liable for your abuser's Council Tax. If you separate or maintain separate lives within the same house please inform the Council Tax team.

Your Council Tax bill can be reduced in a number of ways depending on your circumstances.

Find out more about Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Child maintenance

Child maintenance is financial support towards your child’s everyday living costs when you’ve separated from the other parent.

You and your ex-partner can arrange child maintenance yourself if you can agree. This is called a ‘family-based arrangement’. A family-based arrangement is a private way to sort out child maintenance. Parents arrange everything themselves and no-one else has to be involved.

If you cannot agree, you will need to apply for child maintenance with the Child Maintenance Service.

Your child maintenance payments might be affected if you’re claiming Universal Credit.

Find out more about child maintenance

Bank accounts

If you have joint bank accounts or credit cards, you should tell your bank that you have separated.  You can ask them to remove your name from the account. This will stop your abuser from accessing your money. It will also stop you being responsible for any bills or overdrafts that belong to your abuser.

If you have to leave your home remember to contact utility companies to have your name taken off the bills.

Health and wellbeing

Your health and wellbeing may be impacted by living in an environment of domestic abuse. 

We have Independent Domestic and Sexual Violence Advocates based at the Royal Free Hospital and UCLH to give patients fast access to domestic abuse support. 

You can also speak to your GP if you are worried about domestic abuse and they can refer you quickly and safely to Camden Safety Net.  

Other support available

  • If you’re feeling anxious and/or worried about your mental health, call your GP. If you prefer, you can find help through iCope
  • Whatever you’re going through, Samaritans are there to listen – phone 116 123.
  • If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, phone the 24-hour crisis line at St Pancras Hospital on 020 3317 6333.
  • For confidential online wellbeing and mental health support for young people aged 11 to 18, visit the Camden Rise website.  
  • Find out more about mental health and wellbeing support.
  • If you're feeling worried about your child, or you want to make a change in your life, Camden Early Help can help.
  • If you’re struggling to find work and need support, get help from Good Work Camden

How you can help someone experiencing domestic abuse

How you can help people at risk of or experiencing domestic abuse

  • Encourage them to call the police on 999 if they feel at risk.
  • If it is safe to talk, encourage them to call Camden Safety Net on 0207 974 2526 or email Camden Safety Net.
  • Do they have a phone? Encourage them to keep it accessible, with credit and charged at all times. If it is not safe to speak on the phone, is it safe to email or text them to an account which only they access. If they are going shopping for food or exercising, ask them to utilise this time to call services for help.
  • In the property, avoid the kitchen and bathroom when they feel unsafe or a situation is escalating.
  • Would they consider leaving the property? Talk through how they would leave the property if they felt in danger. Would they consider a refuge or is there anyone they could stay with temporarily?
  • Encourage them to prepare an emergency bag with essential items such as ID, some cash, bank card, clothes and hide this somewhere safe in the property or with a friend should they need to leave in a hurry.
  • Also encourage them to set up a code word with a trusted family member, friend or professional who they can text in an emergency to summon help. This could be an indicator to call the police. 
  • Encourage them to talk to children in the property about how to call for help? Is there a room in the property they can go to that is safe. Please let the school and social services know you may need help about the situation at home.

If it is not safe to talk

  • Offer to text the local and/or national domestic abuse number to them and agree a safe way to do this (i.e. text the number backwards). 
  • Encourage them to contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 if it is safer to call later in the evening.
  • If they are in immediate danger, please call 999.