Help bringing your empty home (property) back in to use
Help we offer to bring your empty home back into use:
- apply for a Housing Supply Grant to help pay for refurbishments
- use the services of lettings and managing agents
- lease agreements with a housing co-operative offering guaranteed rent
- advertise your property through our landlord rental options
Contact the empty homes team
Penalties for empty homes
- A home which has been empty for 2 years and over attracts a 100% premium from 1 April 2019, doubling the council tax payable.
- If it remains empty for 5 years or more, a 200% premium will be payable from 1 April 2020, tripling the council tax payable.
- Those homes kept empty for 10 years and over, will from 1 April 2021, attract a 300% premium, which quadruples the council tax payable.
We will consider taking enforcement action as a last resort:
If notices are not met, this could also lead to prosecution.
Empty Dwelling Management Orders
Compulsory Purchase Orders
Compulsory Purchase Orders (Housing Act 1985) give the council power to acquire buildings and land through compulsory purchase.
Report an empty or run-down property
We have legal powers to secure properties which are open and derelict and to deal with any nuisance, public health and safety complaints arising from the property.