Report a repair

Please report any damp and mould in your council home straight away.

If your repair is an emergency please call 020 7974 4444 option 3 then 1

Our repairs team work hard to keep your council homes safe, warm and in good repair all year round.

Report all non-emergency repairs online

Report a repair on your Camden Account

We are receiving many more calls than we used to, and we want to make sure you can always get through to someone when it matters most. To help us do this, all non-emergency repairs now need to be reported online unless you are an enhanced tenant or cannot access our online services.

Reporting online is quick and easy with your Camden Account – you can report a repair 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The appointments you can book online are exactly the same as the appointments our call handlers can book.

How to report online

  1. Log in or sign up
  2. Click on 'Housing' then 'Request a repair'
  3. Choose an appointment that suits you
  4. We'll text you to confirm your appointment

Describe your repair correctly by viewing this document.

The first time you report a repair, you will need your rent number. You’ll find it on the bottom right hand corner of your rent statement.

Contact us via WhatsApp

You can now report non-emergency repairs by texting 07360277909 in your preferred language. Text us any time, and we will reply from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays.

Contact us using live chat

If you have a question or need advice about a housing repair, you can talk to us instantly and upload pictures of your repair.

You can get straight through to a real person to ask your question or book your repair, available from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Just click on the blue speech bubble at the bottom of this page to start your live chat.

Don’t report

There are some repairs that you are responsible for as a tenant (excluding sheltered housing tenants) that our repairs team can’t help you with. Please don’t report the following repairs because we won’t be able to book them:

  • Unblocking sinks and drains
  • Inside doors (apart from your kitchen door)
  • Front door numbers
  • Security chains, additional locks, lost or damaged keys
  • Carpets or flooring except in bathrooms
  • Light bulbs or fuses
  • Plugs and chains on baths, basins and sinks
  • Curtain rails, hooks and shelves
  • Surface cracks in wall surfaces and plasterwork
  • Kitchen worktops, handles, drawers and cupboards (unless fair wear and tear – if you’re not sure, the best thing to do is contact us on live chat where you can upload pictures of your repair)
  • Tiles around baths and sinks
  • Minor drainage blockages
  • Internal decorations
  • Your private garden
  • Toilet seats

Find out how to carry out your own minor repairs - like bleeding a radiator or changing a toilet seat by watching our home repair videos.

Handy person service

Contact Kazeem Ojuko Wish Plus Officer on 0207 974 3012 to be referred to this service

The care and repair handy service carries out small home repairs for a small fee for those people who otherwise would struggle to get them done on their own, phone on 0203 884 0468

The service can be accessed by any Camden resident who is over 65, or by those who are disabled or vulnerable. Email to access this service directly.

Other useful links and contact numbers

Feedback and compliments 

Your views are important to us so please send compliments or any suggestions to improve the repairs service below.

Feedback form

Damp and mould

Please report any damp and mould in your council home to us straight away so that we can help.

Report damp and mould

How we respond to damp and mould reports

We have a team who are responsible for helping residents get rid of damp and mould.

When you report damp and mould in your home to our repairs service, a member of the team will visit your home within 10 working days. They will assess the damp and mould and discuss and agree the next steps with you.

How to report damp and mould

Report damp and mould

You can also report damp and mould by:

Webchat – click on the blue speech bubble on this page, Monday to Friday, from 8am to 6pm. Just start typing in your preferred language, and your conversation will automatically be translated in real-time.

WhatsApp or Text – message 07360 277 909 at any time. We will get back to you Monday to Friday, from 8am to 6pm. Text us in your preferred language, and your conversation will automatically be translated in real-time.

Phone – call 020 7974 4444 (option 3 then 4), Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.

Preventing mould in your home

Condensation is the most common type of damp in the UK but it can lead to serious mould issues. In some cases, mould can be prevented by managing condensation in a home. 

Having mould in your home is not nice and it could make you ill. You can find out more about mould in the leaflet below.

Find out more about preventing damp and mould 

Too much moisture in the air causes condensation which forms on cold surfaces. If it is not wiped down regularly, mould will grow. But condensation can be managed to prevent mould.

Try the tips below to see if they make a difference to the condensation in your home.

Minimise the moisture in the air:

  • It’s best to keep your heating on a low temperature all day using your thermostat and timer. This will help you to heat your home more evenly and more efficiently than turning on your heating in short, hot blasts. Visit our cost of living pages if you need support to reduce your energy bills and energy consumption
  • Cover pans when cooking and switch on your extractor fan
  • Dry washing on a clothes rack in the bathroom and open the window or put your extractor fan on and close the door
  • Wipe condensation off your windows and windowsills
  • Move furniture away from walls and radiators to allow air to flow between them  
  • Wipe down walls and tiles after showers and baths
  • Keep steam from kettles away from underneath cupboards

Let fresh air into your home:

  • Open your windows at least once a day to let fresh air in and let warm moisture out
  • Close kitchen and bathroom doors when cooking and using the bath or shower, even if you have an extractor fan
  • Open windows when using a tumble dryer and make sure the hose goes outside if you have one
  • Clean your vents and extractor fans regularly and make sure they are not blocked by furniture
  • If you have trickle vents on your window frames, make sure they are open

Find out more about damp and mould

Enhanced tenants

If you're an enhanced tenant

If you're registered as an enhanced tenant (you are 65 or over, you live in sheltered housing, and you or someone in your household is in receipt of a care package), then we will always try to prioritise your repair request. We will actively look for earlier appointments, and if they’re available, we’ll be able to bring your appointment forward. 
However, even if you are enhanced, we will not attend to any repair requests that are the tenant's responsibility. In these circumstances, please get in touch with our colleagues at the wish plus service.

We recognise that every situation is different and will always try to support residents who need our help the most.

Handy person service

Contact Kazeem Ojuko, Wish Plus Officer, on 0207 974 3012 to be referred to this service.
The care and repair handy service carries out small home repairs for a small fee for those who would otherwise struggle to get them done independently.
Any Camden resident can access the service if they are over 65 or those who are disabled or vulnerable.

How to apply to be on the enhanced repairs list

If you or a member of your household meet the criteria above to be added to the enhanced repairs list, then we would be delighted to hear from you. In the first instance, please call our housing services department on 0207 974 4444 Option 5 

Types of repairs

Our team need to know if your repair is an emergency, essential or non-essential repair.

If you report a repair as an emergency and it isn’t, our repairs staff will not complete your job and you will have to book an appointment.

Emergency repairs

Emergency repairs are when there is an immediate threat to your (or other residents’) health, safety, security or to your home. We will attend emergency repairs within 24 hours.

Sometimes a temporary repair will be carried out to make the home safe and secure, and the full repair will be completed later. Emergency repairs include:

  • Suspected gas or carbon monoxide leak
  • Forced entry if locked out or in
  • No drinking water
  • No heating and hot water (1st October to 31st May)
  • Total loss of electrical power
  • Sparking power sockets or electrical fittings
  • Uncontainable water leaks or burst pipes
  • The only toilet is blocked
  • Dirty water coming up through plug hole, toilet or any drains
  • Unsafe external doors, fire doors, or windows
  • Making all fire doors safe (Front doors and kitchen doors that are damaged)
  • Badly damaged ceilings, boundary walls or roofing
  • Blocked rubbish chute
  • Fixing stair lifts
  • Freeing anyone stuck in a lift
  • Windows that cannot be locked and are on the ground floor, or accessible by landing.

Essential repairs

Day to day repairs are when there is a risk to you, your home or your neighbours' homes if the problem is not fixed. We will attend day to day repairs within 35 working days.

Sometimes another visit is required to complete the repair if special parts are needed. Essential repairs include:

  • Leaks that can be contained
  • Damaged front or back doorframes
  • Replacing glass in windows or doors after a break in (with ref. number from police / payment)
  • Partial loss of electricity
  • Flush on toilet
  • Immersion heater unless property has a boiler
  • Low water pressure
  • Plastering, patch work after a serious leak
  • Cracked sockets
  • Bannister and handrails
  • Roofing
  • If glass is broken or cracked - please call us immediately
  • Inside doorframes - please call us if it is your front or kitchen door 
  • Defective window locks above ground level are not accessible 

Non Essential repairs

Problems which need fixing but aren't causing serious discomfort or inconvenience.

  • Plastering – unless patchwork after severe leak
  • Dripping tap and minor repairs to taps such as replacement washers
  • Noisy pipes
  • Defective double glazing window
  • Extractor fans, where your bathroom/kitchen already has an alternative method to ventilate, such as a window
  • Tiling

Useful to know

Gas safety

We are legally required to ensure that gas safety requirements are met. 

Tenants are responsible for the maintenance for their own appliances such as cookers.  The Council is responsible for carrying out annual inspections on internal heating systems and a 5 year gas carcass test on communal heating systems.

I think I can smell gas

Report it on  0207 974 4444

Do not:

  • turn any electrical switches on or off
  • smoke or vape
  • use any naked flames


  • open doors and windows to vent the gas from the property
  • turn off the gas supply at the Emergency Control Valve (usually next to the gas meter) if it is safe to do so.

gas emergency control valve

If in doubt, it is safer to leave the property.

Find out about carbon monoxide poisoning and what to do if you think someone is suffering from it.

Further information videos

I think I can smell gas
Safety at home

Heating repairs

Over the winter, the housing repairs service receives a really high number of calls reporting faulty heating.  

There could be many reasons for issues with your heating, but most problems don't need a repairs callout at all and are simple issues you can fix yourself.

Avoid waiting on the phone or for an appointment you don’t need. See our Heating in the Winter leaflet and if you have a problem with your heating, always make sure that you complete this checklist before requesting a repair:

Requesting heating repairs checklist

  1. Is your room thermostat on? If you have one it should be set at around 22 degrees.
  2. Do you have a timer? If you have one it should be set to 'heating on'.
  3. Are your radiator valves open? Open up your radiator valves to full on every radiator in your home by turning them anticlockwise. Thermostatic valves or older wheel-head valves can be turned quite easily by hand.

If you’ve completed the checklist

…and you have heating, but not to every room

If you’ve completed the checklist and you have heating but one or more of your radiators aren’t working properly, report it online at

…and you still have no heating at all

If you’ve completed the checklist and you still have no heat to your home, between 1 October and 1 April, this is an emergency. Call us on 020 7974 4444 option 3 then 1 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside of these hours, call 020 7974 4444. We will be with you in between six and 24 hours.

If you’re an enhanced tenant

If you’re registered as an enhanced tenant (you are 65 or over, you live in sheltered housing, you or someone in your household is in receipt of a care package) and you have any problems with your heating, call us right away.

Call 020 7974 4444 option 3 then 1 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm and 020 7974 4444 outside of these hours.

Heating rebates

Claim a heating rebate

This claim form is only for Camden tenants who are on communal boilers. Leaseholders on communal boilers can claim compensation through leaseholder services.

Tenants can claim if they have had no heating, hot water or bulk gas  for more than 3 days. The maximum claim is for 6 months.  It takes approximately 20 working days for the request to be processed.

The different types of heating, hot water and gas supply systems

There are various types of communal systems supplying heating, hot water or cooking gas or combinations of these. 
Some systems run over 52 weeks of the year whilst some operate over a heating season, which is generally from October to May inclusive. In addition, some systems are on for 24 hours each day whilst others operate a night set back or night shutdown. 

Some communal systems provide heating and hot water and some just supply gas for cooking.

The type of heating supplied varies and can be:

  • Full heating – heating provided in all rooms of the property.
  • Partial heating – heating provided in some rooms of the property.
  • Background heating – electrical oil fill radiators/fan heaters/storage heaters providing warmth but where additional appliances     may be required at the resident’s expense on cooler days/nights.

Heating Turn on dates 2023


Heating Turn On Date





Denton F




























West End Lane Hostel




Holmes Road Hostel


Lifts awaiting repairs

We aim to repair breakdowns as soon as we can, and once a repair has been logged an engineer will attend within 3 hours, or as soon as possible. They will do their best to get the lift working again straight away, but sometimes the repairs can be complicated, or parts are needed to be ordered and then delivered, which can cause delays with restoring the service. 

If your lift is not working for three days or more, we will write to you and tell you when we expect to have it fixed by. If the repairs are delayed for any reason, we will write to you again to let you know.

If you are vulnerable or need support whilst the lift is not working, please contact your Neighbourhood Housing Officer.

We understand the inconvenience caused by lift breakdowns so please be assured that we work hard to fix them as soon as possible.

Please note that the date given for the lift to be put back in service is an estimated date given by the lift contractor and may change due to circumstances outside our control.

Property Estimated back in service date lift number
244 Royal College Street 27.09.23 Lift 02
1-14 Maple House 10.11.23 Lift 01
Ellerton 03.10.23 Lift 02
Mardale 03.10.23 Lift 01
Glenridding 27.09.23 Lift 01

Insurance cover

We are not responsible for any damage to or loss of fixtures and fittings including:

  • furniture
  • carpets
  • clothing
  • other household items such as the contents of  your fridge or freezer

This is usually the case even if it is linked to a repair that we are responsible for. Therefore we strongly recommend that you take out home contents insurance.  To help you, we run a home contents insurance scheme. 

Contact your ward housing team.


As a Camden tenant there are some repairs which are your responsibility, and some which are Camden's responsibility. Check page 90 of your tenants' guide for more information about repairs responsibilities.


If you do any improvement works to your home, then you will be responsible for maintaining and repairing those improvements. This might include adding extra electrical sockets, installing aerial sockets, and fitting mixer taps.

Responsibility for repairs - doors & windows

Camden is responsible for:

  • Front door and frame.
  • Front and back door locks.
  • Internal fire doors.
  • Repairs following criminal damage (remember to report this to the police and to obtain a crime reference number).
  • Door entry systems.
  • Window frames.
  • Boarding up broken glass in external windows and doors.

You are responsible for:

  • Replacing lost or damaged keys.
  • Additional security locks.
  • Reporting criminal damage to the police to obtain a crime reference number.
  • Getting back into your home if you have lost or damaged your keys.
  • Internal doors, locks, hinges, and handles (except fire doors).
  • Letter boxes, door numbers and security chains.
  • Window catches and stays, security locks or replacement keys.
  • Replacing broken glass or glazing if you cannot provide a related police crime reference number.
  • Installing secondary glazing, and repairs to secondary glazing not installed by Camden.

Responsibility for repairs - walls & floors

Camden is responsible for:

  • Internal walls, skirting boards, and plasterwork.
  • Replacing internal wall tiles, floor boards and panels, and plasterwork that has not been damaged through misuse.
  • Replacing or repairing bath panels if damaged during the course of repairs.

You are responsible for:

  • Surface cracks to wall and ceiling plaster.
  • Ceramic tiles on splash backs around sinks, worktops, basins and baths.
  • Sealant around baths.
  • Replacing or repairing damaged kitchen units, including cupboard doors, shelves, handles, drawers, and work tops.
  • Floor coverings, such as carpets.
  • Internal decoration.

Responsibility for repairs - outside

Camden is responsible for:

  • Clearing guttering when a blockage is causing damage.
  • Roof repairs.
  • Repairing brickwork.
  • Damp-proof work.
  • Repairs and maintenance for Camden installed Integrated Reception System (IRS).
  • Repairs and maintenance of gullies and drains.

You are responsible for:

  • Keeping drainage outlets and gullies clear.
  • Remember not to dispose of fat and oil down drains.
  • Please do not use chemicals to clear drains, but when requesting a repair, please notify the repairs team if chemicals have been used.
  • Removing minor drain blockages.
  • Maintaining private gardens.
  • Clearing rubbish from gardens or balconies.
  • Keeping shared space and walkways clear.

Responsibility for repairs - communal and shared areas

Camden is responsible for:

  • Estate roads and paths.
  • Estate lighting.
  • Communal hallways and staircases.
  • Boundary walls and fences.
  • Rubbish chutes and bin chambers.
  • Communal lifts.

You are responsible for:

  • Maintaining access routes for emergency services – remember to keep corridors and shared areas clear for emergency services and repairs staff that may need access.

Responsibility for repairs - heating, hot water, electrical, and plumbing

Camden is responsible for:

  • Annual gas safety checks, maintenance and repair of appliances we have installed to provide heating and hot water.
  • The gas supply from the gas meter to the appliances it supplies.
  • The electricity supply between the meter and the electrical sockets in your home.
  • The water supply from the meter or stopcock outside your home, to fittings that use water inside your home.
  • Hot and cold water pipework.
  • Maintenance of heat metering equipment.
  • Unblocking main drains and soil pipes connected with your home.
  • Unblocking communal waste pipes.
  • Maintenance of cold water tanks and hot water cylinders.

You are responsible for:

  • Call 020 7974 4444 immediately if you suspect you smell gas – this is an emergency.
  • Changing light bulbs and fluorescent tubes or starters.
  • ‘Pay as you go’ payment methods such as electricity/gas keys.
  • Electrical plugs, including fuses.
  • Failure of gas or electricity suppliers to provide the agreed services or maintain their equipment.
  • Faults or connections on domestic appliances such as fridges, cookers, resident installed equipment such as light fittings.
  • Plugs and chains to baths, sinks and wash hand basins, shower heads, and toilet seats.
  • Cleaning stains on sinks, wash hand basins, baths, showers and toilets.
  • Unblocking kitchen sinks, wash hand basins and bath waste pipes.
  • Please do not use chemicals to attempt to unblock sinks, but when requesting a repair notify the repairs team if chemicals have been used.
  • Boxing in pipe-work.
  • Damage to plumbing installation such as toilets sinks or showers, which is a result of misuse or accidents.


When you are responsible for a repair, you can find and pay your own contractor to do the work, or we might be able to do the repair for you for a charge.

These are some of the tenant-responsibility repairs which we can do for you, and the charges.

 Description of work


 Re-glazing single glazed window  £79.86
 Re-glaze double glazed window  £124.72 
 Forced entry and change lock - Front door (lost key or     locked out)  £115.97
 Renew lock - Cylinder lock  £47.04
 Renew lock - Mortice lock  £40.58
 Carry out a block shut down (Hot and Cold water)  £108.96
 Force entry to garage   £62.36
 Renew lock on up and over garage door  £85.44
 Renew lock on side hung garage door  £29.38
 Forced entry to shed  £106.60
 Broken lock on shed  £29.57
 New toilet pan  £92.99
 New toilet cistern  £114.87
 New wash hand basin  £137.35
 Double socket replacement  £70
 Single socket replacement  £35
 Sink (stainless steel)  £150
 Sink with taps  £250
 Post Box Key Change    £29.57
 Lift callout (lost key/wallet)  £105


Camden is responsible for maintaining the structure of the building  leaseholders live in and for communal areas around the estate.  Any non-communal repair inside your home is your responsibility. 

Please refer to this guide on page 16 for a list of repairs responsibilities.

Camden's responsibilities

  • Maintain, repair and renew the estate/building and provide services including a district heating system where relevant.
  • Maintain the structure of dwellings including the roof, damp proof courses and window frames.  
  • Maintain the common parts of buildings.  This may include a caretaking service where a leaseholder pays for this in their service charge

Leaseholder’s responsibilities

Maintain the property including:

  • All fixtures and fittings within their property (kitchen cupboards, baths, sinks, showers, toilets, taps etc.)
  • Glass in windows (including the putty or seal), front/back door and frame and window and door furniture such as handles and locks.  However note we are currently replacing leaseholders front doors for free when doing FRA works (30 min fire door set)
  • Tanks and pipe work that relates solely to the property such as a leaking waste pipe, trap etc.
  • Unblocking of toilets/wash hand basins/baths/kitchen sinks/waste pipes/traps inside in leaseholders property
  • The heating system within their property if not connected to a communal heating/hot water system.
  • Floors, stairs, ceilings, doors, woodwork, partitions inside the property.
  • All internal decorations to their property.

Housing Repairs Complaints


A complaint is when someone tells us they are unhappy with a service we provide, something we have done, or something we have not done. This could be about Camden, our staff, or anyone acting on our behalf.

You can read our full complaints policy and report a complaint to us on our complaints page.

The Housing Ombudsman

The Housing Ombudsman Service is set up by law to look at disputes involving the tenants and leaseholders of social landlords (housing associations and local authorities) and our voluntary members. The Ombudsman service is free, independent, and impartial.

If you have exhausted Camden’s complaints procedure and you are not happy with the outcome, you can ask the Ombudsman to assess your case.

You can also contact the Ombudsman for free impartial advice at any point including before making a complaint or while Camden are investigating a complaint you have made.

Find out more and contact the service at Housing Ombudsman service.

The Complaint Handling Code

The Housing Ombudsman Complaint Handling Code sets out good practice that allows landlords to respond to complaints effectively and fairly.

We use the code to make sure it’s easy for residents to tell us if something has gone wrong, and to ensure that we listen, understand, and take action to put things right.

Every year we complete an internal assessment to check that we are complying with the code. You can see the results of the latest assessment on our complaints page.

Find out more about the complaint handling code at Housing Ombudsman Complaint Handling Code.

Complaints performance

When something goes wrong, we will acknowledge the problem and take action to put things right.

We also record all complaints and use this information to improve our policies and services, so that the same problem doesn’t happen again. This data is a crucial way for us to know what we can do better in future.

It’s important to us to be open and transparent, so we publish a breakdown below of the types of complaints we have received recently, as well as our handling performance for complaints received over the previous year.

Case management performance last month

2023 August
Orders completed by the in-house team 5,094
Cases 62
Closed within 10 working day 63%
  • Update on current work order
  • No service failure - Customer responsibility 
  • Work order not carried out within target time


Case management performance previous year

Month Cases handled Resolved within
10 working days
August 62 63%
July 2023 118 70%
June 2023 150 75%
May 2023 170 72%
April 2023 212 66%
March 2023 147 75%
February 2023 230 78%
January  223 67%
December 143 83%
November 2022 199 87%
October 2022 132 89%
September 2022 120 73%
August 2022 127 83%

Repairs Open Data

In this section we will share data relating to housing repairs service and improvements works.

As a borough we are constantly looking to improve how we use data and information.  Our aim is to be more open and transparent and use the information to make better decisions as well as offer a more personalised customer experience through all our channels. 

Access Camden's planned works and improvements data.

Open Data Camden is the place for the public, researchers and developers to access, analyse and share information about the borough.

Housing Repairs Contact Centre customer engagement target

All calls answered - 95% 
Call-backs – Cleared on the day received
Webchat – Acknowledged within 90 seconds
WhatsApp and SMS – Acknowledged within 2 hours

Previous day performance Received  Answered  Did we meet target? The average speed of answer
Telephony 491 93% No


Webchat 65 100% Yes 00:00:24
SMS 80 100% Yes 00:00:19
WhatsApp 194 100% Yes 00:00:21


Damp, mould and condensation 

Previous day performance Received  Answered  Did we meet target?  Average speed of answer
Telephony 1 100% Yes 00:00:26
Webchat 0 n/a n/a n/a

Housing Repairs Monthly Telephony Performance

2022/23 % calls answered
in under 2 min
% abandoned
August 2023 77% 7%
July 2023 88% 3%
June 2023 81% 4%
May 2023 93% 4%
April 2023 81% 4%
March 2023 83% 3%
February 2023 85% 4%
January 2023 70% 4%
December 2022 67% 7%
November 2022 72% 4.8%
October 2022 83% 3%
September 2022 83% 5%
August 2022 77% 6%